With very few ingredients this recipe would have been made from whatever leftovers were available plus a chicken from the coup. I was surprised to see sugar added in the pastry of this savoury dish, but it works really well. The pastry is rich and short, with just enough sweetness to contrast with the chicken. It is an excellent pie to take to share when you get invited to a party. I suggest serving it with a salad.
Chicken Pie – Hojaldre De Pastel De Pollo – Spanish Recipe
- 1 medium chicken quartered
- 500g plain flour
- 6 eggs hard boiled
- 225g sugar
- 225g butter or 500ml olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Mix the butter (or olive oil), flour, 2 eggs and sugar together well, to create the dough. Leave to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Put the chicken in a pan of boiling water and boil gently until the meat is tender and falling from the bones, around 30 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked and cooled remove all the flesh from the bones and cut into small pieces. Cut 4 hard boiled eggs into pieces. Chop the parsley. Combine all the ingredients, add a little salt and a cup of cooked chicken broth.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan, add the chicken mixture and cook through for a couple of minutes. Season to taste.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts. Roll one part out into whatever shape you want, for example a large circle or rectangle, and place on cooking parchment on a baking sheet. Put the other half of the dough back in the fridge until needed.
- Put the chicken mixture onto your rolled out pastry, then roll the second part and cover. Make sure the edges seal by folding them over in a seashell pattern.
- Paint with a little egg white and put it in the oven at medium temperature, 180oC, until golden brown. Serve warm.
Our Wine Suggestion
Pittacum 2007 Bierzo
Red wine from Mencia grapes and 8 months barrel ageing 14.5%. The Camino de Santiago runs alongside their vineyard, this wine reflects the flavours of El Bierzo. Fresh and fruity to accompany poultry.
Spanish Cooking Uncovered: Farmhouse Favourites
Get the book for more authentic Spanish recipes.
Enjoy more than 80 uncovered recipes from Grandma María Luisa’s Spanish Farmhouse Kitchen. Grandma María Luisa’s Spanish Cooking Uncovered: Farmhouse Favourites is a treasure trove of recipes discovered after over 70 years.
María Luisa’s handwritten recipes from the Civil War period uncover the secrets of traditional Mediterranean cooking. Enjoy more than 80 recipes using fresh, natural, healthy ingredients to feed a modern family, with a hand-picked wine choice for every dish!
Latest posts by Debbie Jenkins (see all)